


Last night was our ward's Christmas party. This year, the theme was "A Night in Bethlehem." The gym was decorated to resemble Jerusalem, everyone dressed in biblical costumes, you paid taxes by bringing canned goods for the needy and in return, you got a little pouch of money. You could use this money to buy food. Rene and I were in charge of the booth that sold gyros. For a sheckel, you got a piece of flatbread, lamb, onions, tomatoes and cucumber sauce. Yum! The people next to us were selling falafel (rhymes with "awful" and pretty much tastes the same.) You could also buy dried fruit, a little cup containing carrots and celery, cheese and salami, fruit, and baklava. Emily and Preston were in charge of the dreidel booth, where kids could purchase and play with a dreidel.So, I made all our costumes and I think they turned out well. It's amazing how seriously some people take this event, and some of the costumes are pretty elaborate. I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but Preston's costume included a sheepskin over his shoulder.
After everyone had eaten their fill, there was a short program consisting of the children from Primary acting out the Nativity story and various families singing Christmas carols. The Hmong choir also sang "Silent Night" in Hmong. Emily and I have been helping them practice for awhile. For me, the highlight of the program was the nursery kids singing "Once There was a Snowman." There wasn't much singing involved, but they really knew the actions.

A month or so ago, I went up to Merrill, Wisconsin, and babysat my friend's 18 month old while she worked. Her husband and his father own a Christmas tree business. They wholesale trees and also go down to Chicago where they set up several lots. They also sell wreaths and swags. My friend, Brenda, makes all the bows for the wreaths and she also makes the swags. So I went to stay with Max while she made the swags. While Max was napping, she helped me make my own wreath. I think it turned out well. And Max is adorable, by the way.

A month or so ago, I went up to Merrill, Wisconsin, and babysat my friend's 18 month old while she worked. Her husband and his father own a Christmas tree business. They wholesale trees and also go down to Chicago where they set up several lots. They also sell wreaths and swags. My friend, Brenda, makes all the bows for the wreaths and she also makes the swags. So I went to stay with Max while she made the swags. While Max was napping, she helped me make my own wreath. I think it turned out well. And Max is adorable, by the way.
1 comment:
Hey didn't I see you Israelites in Bethlehem last night?
Post a Comment