
Today, Janet and I did a "girls day out" and went to the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum. They are having a Norman Rockwell exhibit, which was awesome. Three of the paintings were from his "Freedom of..." series. One of them, Freedom of Worship, was very interesting. We noticed that across the top it said, "according to the dictates of his own conscience..." There was a nifty little blurb saying that this painting and this caption had disturbed Mr. Rockwell and his minions because he remembered reading it somewhere, but no one could find any document to attribute it to. Interesting, eh? (In case you don't remember where it comes from either, you should brush up on the Articles of Faith.)
3 comments:
I'm sad I missed the Lee Yawkey Art Museum. We'll have to go next time I'm in town.
I'm sad I missed the art museum too.
Thanks for the enthusiastic response to the Woodson Art Museum's Norman Rockwell exhibition. I post this comment to clarify the label text regarding "Freedom of Worship." The statement about an inability to identify the source of the quote ("according to the dictates of our own conscience") was said/written by Mr. Rockwell himself. Why he or others didn't recognize (or research) the source is unknown to us. Because the quote used on the label was a direct one, we did not feel it appropriate to modify Rockwell's own words. I hope this is helpful and that you'll visit the Museum again soon. Our next exhibition, "Las Artes de Mexico" (3000 years of Mexican arts), opens on January 30.
Post a Comment