Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter and General Conference

This weekend, we were able to go to Salt Lake to General Conference. We had never been in the 31 years that we've been married. Since we won't be making any trips to Provo for graduation or to bring kids home for the summer, we decided this would be a good year to go. We had so much fun!! On Friday night, we went to my mission reunion. My mission president and his wife are turning 80 this year and Sis. Siddoway's health has not been good. So it was wonderful to see them and to hear from them again. As always, they were incredibly inspiring. There was something eerie about the whole thing, though. I had been asked to help with the dinner, so I didn't see people coming in. When I looked out, I was kind of freaked out. Who were all these OLD people?? Seriously, there was a lot of gray hair there! I guess the upside of that is that I came away feeling that I'm looking pretty good for my age. Sadly, I was having so much fun that I didn't take any pictures.

We went to conference sessions on Saturday and Sunday mornings. It's exciting to mingle with the huge throng of people from all over the world streaming into the conference center. And the talks were inspiring. And, as always, it was fun to spend time with the girls and Brian.

We ate at Tucano's and later in the day, had a little Easter egg hunt. In case you can't really see Sarah's picture of the special egg they made, I'll include a close-up.


On Sunday afternoon, between sessions of conference, we went up to the This Is the Place Monument. While we were there, we saw a sun dog. I don't think I've ever seen one before. We tried to take a picture of it, and here it is, for your viewing pleasure.


Like all good things, it ended too quickly. I love the opportunities we have to be with our family. Good thing there will be more of them this spring and summer! And I want to say thanks to Emily and Preston, who let us sleep at their house and who got up early and went to bed late to chauffeur us to the airport.
Happily, when we got home, there was a sweet Easter message from Afton on our voicemail!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I like our egg. And what in the world is a sun dog.

Margaret said...

Google it, Sarah.

Kathleen said...

Looks like a great weekend! (And I think it's sad that now that we live in Utah, we can't get General Conference tickets!) I guess if we went and stood in line forever.......