Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Another Scoresby Missionary


Well, Joanna has now entered the MTC. We've had an emotional couple of days around here as we got her ready and said good-bye. For those who may not know, our family consists of two groups--those who cry over anything and those who cry over nothing. Joanna belongs to the crying group, so it's been hard. I think that once she gets settled in the MTC, and then in Florida and is busy, things will be easier for her. I certainly hope so.

It's been hard for me, too. I've gotten used to having her around. This morning, Rene left at 5 am and Janet left at 5:45, so now I'm alone with two kitties all day. My mom told me that when I went on my mission, she called my Dad up at work and said, "I don't want her to go for away for 18 months." I suppose it's a pretty universal feeling.

But Joanna will be a great missionary. She has a knack for listening to other people and feeling what they're feeling, etc. She has the wonderful examples of Joseph, Ben and Emily, who were great missionaries, to follow. When she was set apart, the stake president told her that she will be a "bright star" in the Florida Tallahassee Mission.

Joanna is also lucky to have Emily, Preston and Sarah, who picked her up at the airport, entertained her last night, and took her to the MTC today. I remember when I went on my mission. My parents could not afford to take me to Utah. So I flew out by myself, stopping in Rapid City on the way to be set apart. Two office elders from the mission met me there at the airport, took me to meet the mission president and be set apart, and took me back. (There was no stake in South Dakota then--the mission president was the ecclesiastical leader.) When I arrived in Utah, I was met by Aunt Iris. The next day, she took me to the temple. The next day, I entered the mission home in Salt Lake.

Anyway, Emily said that the MTC mission president told the families and the missionaries that saying goodbye is kind of like taking off a band-aid--it's best to just do it quickly. So, we'll look forward to hearing all about Joanna's new experiences, which we'll post on her blog.

2 comments:

Preston said...

We're excited for the updates! Also I don't cry all that often, so I guess you can count me with the hard hearts.

Shannon said...

Well, I'm a crier, so I guess I belong to the Joanna & company...