Monday, September 24, 2007





Thursday, we went to Helene's Hilltop Orchard in lovely Merrill, WI and picked a bushel of apples. They were darn expensive! Johnny Appleseed apparently didn't make it up this far, because there aren't as many orchards to choose from. We also bought 1/2 gallon of cider, just for old times sake. It was darn expensive, too, but it sure tastes good. We canned on Saturday, ending up with 26 pints of applesauce and 12 quarts of apple pie filling. Remember the days when the whole table would be covered with filled bottles? We really don't need to can like that anymore. But the homemade stuff is so tasty compared to store bought. And we have a lead on cheaper apples for next year.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Mom--Why on earth are you posting at 4:30 in the morning?

Shannon said...

I'm convinced she doesn't sleep... :)

Margaret said...

No, the clock is messed up somehow. But remember that I do get up at 5 am everyday to get Janet off to school.

Margaret said...

Okay, I figured out how to fix the time. Mine was set for Pacific time, so that was when I posted if I lived in Tiajuana, Vancouver or Whitehorse. But it's all better now.