
Last week was Rene's birthday. Our birthday celebrations are a good example of how our family has blended the two different backgrounds from which we come. The cake was the traditional Scoresby cake--three layers, one white, one chocolate and one pink, frosted with chocolate frosting. The kids haven't always had this kind of cake for their birthdays, but it's almost always the cake I make for Rene's birthday. He didn't think we'd be able to get the massive number of candles on it, but it was no problem. We had room for probably at least thirty more!
Our birthday song is the traditional "Happy Birthday to you" followed by the traditional Allred birthday song. It goes like this: "Oh, somebody has a birthday, our little________(fill in the blank with the person's name--in Rene's case, "Daddy") here. Kind Father-in-Heaven bless him (or her) through all the coming year." I know that this song was song by my Dad's family because I remember being present on occasions where it was sung. In my family, it was then followed by a sycopated version of "Happy Birthday to you," but we haven't done that. I don't know the origin of this song. I tried to find out something about it on the internet, but could find nothing. Maybe someone made it up.
At any rate, it was a fun celebration.
7 comments:
Is this the part where Sarah picks up the phone and says, "We were just blowing out the candles," to a stranger?
We were at a birthday party for a friend last week and her family sang the "Somebody has a birthday" song.
wow, look at that FIRE on top of the cake...that's looking pretty dangerous! ;)
Aww, I just realized it was a video! Ben just came in and sang along behind me. He got pretty excited about it. (If you can imagine that. ;)
Ps. Sorry the call was a day late. I reminded Ben on birthday afternoon to call, but since he didn't do it right away, he forgot.
I like how Rene was trying to put out the candle with his fingertips at the very end, my dad loves to do that too, I forgot about that until just now when I saw him do that...funny...
yeah emily, that was definitely the part where the phone rang and sas was like,"we just got done singing!" to a stranger. haha can you say drok?
For the record, I looked at the caller ID on the phone, and I thought it was Ben, but apparently, he didn't call until the next day.
Post a Comment