Monday, January 26, 2009

Beautiful Day of Rest


When our kids were little, our Sunday activities were a little different than they are now. We used to go to church, come home and eat a nice dinner, take a nap, play games, maybe take a walk, talk to our parents on the phone, etc. As our kids got a little older, we would occasionally leave them home while we did a little home teaching or visiting teaching. We would sometimes invite friends over for dinner.

Over the past few years, it has gotten to be that Sunday is almost our busiest day. Some of the things we've done lately on the Sabbath include going to some Hmong members home to help them practice the hymns in Hmong, travelling to other wards and branch in our stake, going to firesides--CES, missionary, etc., and having friends over for dinner. Yesterday, we had the opportunity to go to the Presbyterian church in downtown Wausau and help serve dinner to community members who had nowhere else to go. Rene and I both enjoyed it alot. We had to hurry home, though, because we hosted the monthly Bishop's Youth Discussion and we had to set up for it.


Over the past couple of years, I have written weekly emails to our missionary daughters on Sunday evening. Their p-day has been Monday, so I can send them the latest news if I write on Sunday night. And it makes a nice recap of the week and a look for me at the week ahead.

Several years ago, there was a great article in the BYU Alumni magazine with ideas for making the Sabbath a special day. I heartily recommend it!

(Janet, sorry about this picture, but it's a typical Sunday in Mount Vernon.)

4 comments:

Janet said...

I feel loved...

Luana said...

What a cute picture. It is so fun to see you all when you were younger.

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

Adorable! I especially like the little squirt in the back middle. :) (And Joanna with her little hands on her chin)