Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My brief review of the inauguration:
Seeing all the ex-presidents and their wives and other famous people--interesting and kind of fun
George W. and Laura Bush: Gracious, relaxed, friendly
Michelle Obama's outfit: Liked the dress and coat, not too sure about the green gloves and shoes
Malia and Sasha's outfits: Very cute
Invocation: Ugh
Obama's speech: Kind of boring; full of nice but improbable ideas
Aretha Franklin: Awesome hat; way too over the top job on what could have been a great song
"Air and Simple Gifts": Very, very nice--I want to hear it again, but can't find it online yet anywhere; I'm a John Williams fan anyway.
Praise Song for Today: forgetable
Benediction: Actually, I was liking it alot until he had to throw in a dig at capitalism and a racial slur against whites.
Michelle Obama's gift to Laura Bush: Very appropriate and thoughtful--a pen and journal to begin her memoirs
Washington DC itself: Love, love, love it! I want to visit again!

3 comments:

Ben S said...

duh, if you are white, you are obviously in the wrong. That's what I've learned in Memphis.

Joe said...

My mini review:

I watched the whole thing on CNN's live streams while I was at work. My office had to come in, even though there was nobody for us to support all day.

A) I'm glad I wasn't there. It was cold yesterday.

B) I'm glad I don't still work at the IRS building. I saw it in a lot of shots, and I would have had to go through security to get to work. During the pictures of the motorcade traveling and the parade route, I saw places where I'd hang out while I was on lunch, or where I'd wait in DC when Tracy worked late.

C) I also liked Simple Gifts being played. I noticed the band played it before the ceremonies started. MOTAB did it on an album a few years ago: The Sound of Glory.

D) Who the heck was the second guy on the viewers' right side as the VIPs came down the steps? He kept talking to all the former presidents, and just wouldn't let them walk. He was acting like some kind of door-to-door salesman. I'm surprised he didn't start handing out business cards.

E) The former (and outgoing) presidents (and vices) seemed really relaxed. Bill Clinton looked younger than he did 8 years ago. I guess the stress of the job can really get to you.

Emily said...

Did you hear that that the instrumental piece was actually taped because it was too cold to play their instruments right?