Monday, December 13, 2010

Under the tree



About 26 or 27 years ago, my sister Kathleen made a tree skirt for us for a Christmas present. We have used it every year since then. A couple of years ago, I made tree skirts for Joseph and Tracy and Ben and Shannon. It was obvious last year that Emily and Preston also needed one. And when Joanna and Sarah both got married this summer, I decided to make three tree skirts for this Christmas.

Now, the tree skirts I made earlier were panels, where all I had to do was apply batting and backing and sew them together. But tree skirt panels seem to be a thing of the past in just two or three years time. I'm way too cheap to buy a pattern, so thank goodness for the Internet. I found this awesome tutorial and used it to make the three tree skirts. I had to change it some for Emily and Preston's because I already had fabric for theirs and wanted to make sure I used what I had. For the others, I did have to buy a few pieces of fabric, but I was also able to use some I had around here and some I got from a swap meet at church this summer. Plus I used up a bunch of peices of batting that I had hanging around.

This is Joanna and Ben's. I think they all turned out well. Hopefully, they'll get as much use out of them as we have from ours.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Maybe we could get some use out if our tree skirt if we actually had it!

Margaret said...

Oh, waaaah...you'll have it soon enough.

Janet said...

I can't wait until I get mine.

Tracy said...

Very cute. We use the one you gave us every year to. It's fun. :0)