Thursday, May 2, 2013

Here, there and everywhere

Over the past several months, we have attended church in a variety of places besides home.  It's nice to be able to go anywhere and feel at home.

I have now attended church in Sarah and Brian's ward 5 or 6 times.  I like their ward.  It's a very ethnically diverse ward and  humble ward.  There are two things that I have really enjoyed when I've gone there.

There is an older gentleman who plays the organ for sacrament meeting.  His name is Bert Robertson (and his wife is Roberta--yes, really!).  He reminds me so much of some of my Allred uncles.  His playing isn't always perfect.  Whose is?  But I really like the way he plays.  Everytime I go to church there, I feel so happy when I walk into the chapel and see him playing.

The gospel doctrine teacher has now been released, but I enjoyed him very much.  I don't even know his name.  He's a guy (obviously), so he teaches like a guy.  There are no pictures or fancy handouts or even elaborate illustrations on the board.  But he is obviously well prepared.   When we were there last April for Janet's graduation, the lesson was on Mosiah 2.  I would imagine that all of us have read that chapter several times.  I know I have.  But the questions he asked and the discussion that followed, sank deep into my heart and touched me personally in a way I'd not considered before.

A couple of Sundays ago, we were in Aberdeen, SD, to celebrate my Mom's 80th birthday.  Alan Johnson was the High Council speaker and did a great job.  Mom was the RS teacher.  Although she was very nervous, her lesson was great.  Kudos to those who serve diligently, but quietly, in the church.  I feel sure that they will be among the sheep, not the goats, in the last day.

Mom and her nine kids
 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sadly, the gospel doctrine teacher and family moved away. The Robertsons are still here though.